We’re in the middle of the week and no news has dropped of the hoped-for rematch with Baylor being added to the schedule on Thursday evening—an open spot in each program’s respective schedules. So I guess the men will have that scheduled time off until tipping off against Pacific on Saturday. Until then, fill your time with some reading:
- Enjoy this fun rundown from NCAA.com’s Mike Lopresti of how the numbers bear out Gonzaga’s dominance this season. There’s a lot of good ones, but one that stands out to me is that Jalen Suggs owns the lowest shooting percentage of Gonzaga’s starters at...53.7%! That’s ridiculous.
- Andy Katz has Corey Kispert and Jalen Suggs at Nos. 2 and 3 in his top 10 rankings for the college player of the year awards.
- Now that Bill Self’s Kansas is the only team that has played both Gonzaga and Baylor this season, he confirmed what we all suspected—those two teams are in a league of their own. Self, however, wouldn’t spill the beans on which team he thinks is better between the two.
- Related to the last point, in an answer laid out in his recent mailbag, Seth Davis bucks his usual stance of taking the field against a specific team(s) and leans towards taking Gonzaga/Baylor versus the Field during the tournament.
- The Gonzaga women are currently projected as a 5-seed in Stanford’s region of the latest bracketology update over at ESPN.
- Casey Calvary talks to Dan Dickau about THAT MOMENT which started this magical run we’re still on 22 years later.
- Not Gonzaga specific, but NCAA senior VP Dan Gavitt spoke with CBS Sports to discuss the logistics associated with putting together this year’s tournament and the hurdles that still remain. If you missed it, the tournament schedule was also released this week.
- Titus & Tate hit the nail on the head when describing the top two teams in the country.
“Baylor, to me, plays like a really, really great college basketball team, but still has the makeup, the DNA of a CBB team. Gonzaga looks and plays like an NBA team.”@clubtrillion & @tatefrazier discuss if Baylor’s on their way to passing Gonzaga as the top team in the country pic.twitter.com/cASp8nqMI5— FOX College Hoops (@CBBonFOX) January 19, 2021