Our Gonzaga basketball drought is nearly over, my friends. We just need to make it a few more days, and our patience will be rewarded with the best game of the weekend (hopefully). Until then, let’s pass the time by exploring what people are writing about the Zags:
- When the Zags return to action this weekend, we’ll get to see how they fare against the frontrunner for all of the National Player of the Year honors in Luka Garza. Over at the Spokesman-Review, Jim Meehan took a look at how Gonzaga has done in years past against NPOY winners (7 total)—it has been a mixed bag—but the last one was a good time!
- Andy Katz makes his picks for the top 11 games this week, and he has Gonzaga taking down Iowa. Smart fellow.
- Over at The Daily Iowan, two of its staffers debate who will win Saturday’s marquee matchup. Iowa’s depth and the fact it has Luka Garza is a solid argument in its favor, while Gonzaga’s defense is acknowledged as being better equipped to slow down the Hawkeyes than vice versa.
- Gonzaga stays at the top of Jeff Borzello’s power rankings, and he briefly breaks down the upcoming game with Iowa whose lineup will allow the Zags to play their best five for long stretches of the game.
- Gary Parrish also kept the Zags at the top of his Power Rankings. Guess the time off hasn’t hurt GU.
- Gonzaga has a long lineage of excellent point guards, and two of the best in Dan Dickau and Josh Perkins connected for half an hour to talk GU hoops. Make sure to give them a listen!