Conference basketball is in full swing , and the Zags find themselves with their hands full in the opening weekend. Gonzaga’s difficulties in putting away the Pilots and Waves may have dimmed its light in the eyes of some, but every season has its ebbs and flows.
Here’s what’s been said about the Zags over the last week:
- Brock Ravet has officially left the program after taking an indefinite leave from the program on the eve of the season. The writing seemed to be on the wall in the last few weeks after his nameplate was taken down from his locker in late December. Best wishes to Brock with wherever his journey takes him next.
- In his annual Buy, sell, hold piece, The Athletic’s Seth Davis states that the Zags have him spooked after their performance in the first two games of WCC play and the tenuous health of key rotation players. Davis has BYU as a “buy” and Saint Mary’s as a “hold.”
- Eamonn Brennan’s first Bubble Watch of the season has Gonzaga comfortably in an at-large position, it’d be weird if the No. 1 team in the country wasn’t, for a tournament spot should it not be able to secure an auto-bid by winning the WCC Tournament.
- Andy Katz identifies Gonzaga v. Saint Mary’s on February 8 as one of his 10 can’t miss conference matchups this season.
- For what seems like the fifth time this season, ESPN has an article about why the Top 20 teams won’t win the NCAA Tournament. No surprise that it’s defense and free throw shooting that will be Gonzaga’s downfall.
- As you are all aware, Jalen Suggs announced his commitment to Gonzaga last Friday, completing the union of the Tricky Trio along with Dominick Harris and Julian Strawther. KREM2’s Sports Director Brenna Greene had the three of them on for a fun segment on Tuesday night where they discussed the recruiting process and their goal for next year (natty!).