We have finally reached the business end of the season now that the regular season is out of the way, and Gonzaga is returning to the consciousness of the collective basketball universe.
- Gonzaga v. Duke II was a popular choice with the Sports Illustrated staff when queried which matchup they wanted to see most. The Zags are considered to be the only team in the country that can handle a full-strength Duke squad based on what we saw in Maui and the ensuing months. I wouldn’t complain if that’s how things broke, since that means Gonzaga would have reached the Final Four.
- Jon Rothstein thinks the Pac-12 should add Gonzaga as a non-football member to change its perception in the college basketball world and provide its current members with 18 Q1 games. Would this be an entertaining move that could benefit the Pac-12’s standing in the college basketball hierarchy? Absolutely. Is it likely to happen? No, as football drives the decision in that conference and adding Gonzaga doesn’t open up another broadcast region for the Pac-12 network since the conference already has Wazzu. But it’s fun to talk about!
- The Gonzaga Bulletin previewed the WCC Tournament by profiling the two players who have the keys to the car for Gonzaga’s respective basketball teams. Check out the pieces on Laura Stockton and carving out her own legacy; and, the journey of Josh Perkins during his five years on campus.
- Gonzaga and Wofford got the nod as winners last week from CBS Sports in its Winners & Losers column as both programs secured perfect regular season conference records.
- Assistant Coach Donny Daniels was named to the inaugural Assistant Coaches Hall of Fame class. Massive congratulations to Coach Daniels on his well-deserved achievement!
- Theo Lawson examines whether Gonzaga will be able to nab the No. 1 overall seed by the time Selection Sunday rolls around.
- BRACKETOLOGY: Chris Dobbertean of SB Nation has Gonzaga as the second overall No. 1 seed behind Virginia, and grouped with Michigan State, Houston, and Virginia Tech in the West region. ESPN’s Joe Lunardi projects Michigan, Kansas, and Virginia Tech to join Gonzaga in the West, with a potential second-round matchup for Gonzaga of either UW or Syracuse’s zone defense. Jerry Palm of CBS Sports has LSU, Michigan State, and Florida State in Gonzaga’s region with a possible second round matchup against the Baylor Fighting Rem Bakamus’s (official name change) in the second round.