It was a whirlwind week for Gonzaga, as the Killian Tillie injury news cast a pall over the beatdowns bestowed upon USF and Saint Mary’s last weekend with key recruits and some old faces in town to take it all in. The rest of the college basketball landscape looks like it still has plenty of chaos to deal with over the next few weeks, while the Zags appear to be well-positioned to grab a 1-seed for the NCAA Tournament.
- The Spokesman-Review’s Justin Reed caught up with 2020 5-star prospects Julian Strawther and Jalen Suggs while they were in Spokane for a few days taking their official visit. Both players had nothing but positive things to say about their impressions of the program and the Gonzaga community as a whole.
- Reed also chatted with Silas Melson who was in town to watch the Zags play USF last Thursday. Melson isn’t surprised to see how dominant this year’s team is, and they certainly have his vote to win it all this year.
- Jim Meehan ponders the question at the forefront of every Gonzaga fan, can the Zags still thrive without Killian Tillie?
- Gonzaga has a strangehold on the top spot of the WCC Power Rankings over at Mid-Major Madness.
- BRACKETOLOGY: With the initial reveal of the Top 16 for the tournament field last Saturday, Gonzaga is now firmly entrenched as a 1-seed in bracket predictions this week. SB Nation’s Chris Dobbertean has Gonzaga in the West paired with Michigan State (2), Kansas (3), and Louisville (4) in its region. Joe Lunardi has Gonzaga in the West with Michigan (2), Houston (3), and Louisville (4). The Athletic’s Brian Bennett cautions, however, that while Gonzaga’s form and resume certainly merits receiving a 1-seed, the programs on the bubble of the 1-line all have many more resume building opportunities before Selection Sunday rolls around.