Finally, we’ve arrived at the best part of the season. But before Gonzaga officially tips off on Thursday, right about what’s being written about your favorite college basketball program today:
- The Mountain West related speculation continues apace, and this time the Idaho Statesman draws parallels between Gonzaga and potential conference mate Boise State in their respective basketball/football evolutions. There are some quotes in the article from Mark Few and Adam Morrison about the prospective move, so check it out.
- Not to be left out, BYU’s Dave Rose fielded questions about Gonzaga’s potential move away from the WCC. Rose confirmed Gonzaga was in discussions to switch conferences, and acknowledged that such a departure would damage the WCC. Notably, Rose identified “some scheduling issues” he believed Gonzaga was hoping to negotiate in its favor from the WCC. Gordon Monson, also of the Salt Lake Tribune, strongly disagrees with Rose that BYU would be fine if Gonzaga left the WCC.
- Gonzaga to the MWC talk also made it to the Coloradoan, where Kelly Lyell speculates that the addition of Gonzaga would help elevate the MWC’s profile and make up for some past missteps such as failing to pursue Wichita State last year.
- I got a kick out of this fun piece from John Blanchette in the Spokesman-Review.
- Dick Vitale has the Zags earmarked for another trip to the Final Four, and claims Zach Norvell has “starrability” so take that for what its worth...
- USA Today lists Gonzaga as one of the eight hottest teams going into the tournament. I would have to agree.
- Gonzaga is NCAA.com’s “dark horse” pick to make the Final Four out of the West region. I don’t think they know what dark horse means over there.
- Gonzaga-commits Anton Watson and Brock Ravet both made the Seattle Times all-state team. Watson was named the publication’s Player of the Year. Both players had phenomenal seasons, but still have one more year left in high school before we’ll see them in The Kennel.