The Gonzaga Bulldogs have exited the less friendly confines of Salt Lake City for the hopefully more friendly confines of San Jose, California, as they take on the West Virginia Mountaineers in the Sweet 16.
Here are a few stats about the game:
- This is the fourth all-time meeting between the two schools. Gonzaga has won all previous three.
- Gonzaga is 17-8 against current Big 12 members, including 2-1 in the NCAA Tournament.
- Only three programs have appeared in the Sweet 16 in the last three years, and Gonzaga is one of them. The other two? North Carolina and Wisconsin.
- The Zags are 17-13 all time as a single digit seed.
- A victory tonight will tie the all-time school record with 35 wins, courtesy of the 2014-15 squad.
- West Virginia leads the nation with 366 total steals, averaging nearly 10.2 per game. Their defense forces a nation-leading 20.1 turnovers per game.
- West Virginia has forced 724 turnovers all season. Their opponents have also only made 808 field goals all season.
This is going to be a stressful one, but here is to hoping our lovely Zags end up on top.