The Gonzaga Bulldogs are facing off against the West Virginia Mountaineers in the Sweet 16 of the 2017 NCAA Tournament. It is Gonzaga’s third-straight appearance, but they ran into as stiff of an opponent as possible. A lot of pundits are picking Press Virginia for a possible upset.
But this is a Gonzaga blog, and we don’t work that way. So here are 16 reasons from the Gonzaga fanbase showing why the Zags are going to win.
- Seriously, can you get more dapper?
@slipperstillfit Look at these beautiful humans pic.twitter.com/rAupRAvX05— Mid-Major Madness (@mid_madness) March 22, 2017
2) San Jose is a long way from Morgantown.
@slipperstillfit location, location, location— Mike Johnson (@MJ_GoGaels) March 22, 2017
3) Gonzaga’s, not West Virginia’s, defense is ranked as the most efficient in the nation by the way, in case you forgot.
@slipperstillfit half court defense. Can't press as effectively if you don't score— Ben Cary (@zagfan8741) March 22, 2017
4) Can’t argue with this logic.
@slipperstillfit team of destiny!— Michael Scarpelli (@ScarpMichael) March 22, 2017
5) Gonzaga is tall, like...really tall. In fact, overall, the Zags are the ninth-tallest team in the nation.
@slipperstillfit their tallest big who plays is 6-9. If we can get them in the half court defense we will be too big down low.— Kevin Bek (@cmblues6) March 22, 2017
6) The Zags have shown they are perfectly comfortable playing in high-octane games (hello Iowa State) and slow as molasses contests (hello Saint Mary’s over and over and over again).
@slipperstillfit No one has been able to Out Run Gonzaga all year, even the Zag bigs run and handle pressure really well— Ross Eide (@rosseideactual) March 22, 2017
7) This goes with the height thing, but a reminder of West Virginia fans: there isn’t a better passing big man in the game than Przemek Karnowski.
@slipperstillfit bigs who can see over top of pressure and pass— Mark Crouch (@markcrouch23) March 22, 2017
8) Sometimes, March Madness is just as much about skill as it is about luck.
@slipperstillfit Because I will be in attendance and wearing my lucky KCOG shirt!— Bob Twiss (@twisttop12) March 22, 2017
9) He hasn’t played to his fullest potential for an entire game this tournament, but Nigel Williams-Goss is one of the best players in the country. There is a reason he is still on the Bob Cousy list, the Naismith Award list, and the Wooden Award list.
@slipperstillfit NIGEL WILLIAMS-GOSS— Scott Moberg (@scottmoberg3) March 22, 2017
10) The pregame celebration is the most spot on in all of basketball.
@slipperstillfit The team will be inspired as they have all season by the @Gonzaga_Band Frozen medley— Francis (@Francisisiss) March 22, 2017
11) West Virginia had a good win over Notre Dame, but they also shot the lights out of the ball from long range. West Virginia shot 57 percent from the three point arc, well above their season average of 36.7 percent.
@slipperstillfit West Virginia's 3pt shooting number fall back to Earth from the ND game, and they can't score enough to win, even if zags have 15 turnovers— FOLKFUTURE (@folk_future) March 22, 2017
12) A Shetland pony is a breed of pony originating from the Shetland Isles. They range from 28-42 inches tall and are considered quite intelligent. As for luck? I have no idea.
@slipperstillfit a random sighting a Shetland pony on my street this morning. A win is all but guaranteed— Shafteddad (@shafteddad) March 22, 2017
13) This is one of the big difference makers for the Zags this year. Usually, Gonzaga has some athleticism, some depth, and lots of solid teamwork. This year, the Zags actually have the athleticism and length to compete with a lot of these big name programs. There is a reason we only lost one game after all.
@slipperstillfit defense and athleticism that is usually missing on a Zags team. We can actually compete above the rim.— Eddie Legaspi (@EddieTwote) March 22, 2017
14) Mark Few is one of the best at game prep. The Zags reportedly have been practicing 7-on-5 to prepare for the West Virginia press. Say what you will about Few’s tendency to slow the game down WAY too early, but Gonzaga hasn’t looked befuddled this season.
@slipperstillfit because Few preps better than anyone other coach and isn't afraid to make in game adjustments anymore. Team will be ready— Casey Thurston (@Average_Casey) March 22, 2017
15) One important distinction between Gonzaga and West Virginia during their runs this tournament. Gonzaga hasn’t played its best basketball yet and is still here. West Virginia has. Even if Gonzaga’s offense gets flustered, the defense is still going to make it hell for the Mountaineers.
@slipperstillfit considering how bad our shooting has been last month we are still winning! We can win without shooting great. DEFENSE— t-mic (@365aLion) March 22, 2017
16) Most of all, this:
@slipperstillfit a Mountaineer is someone who climbs mountains for sport. Gonzaga is too big of a mountain to climb. Bulldogs by 8.— Steven Karr (@SKarrG0) March 22, 2017