Lots of good stuff this week in terms of Zag coverage, so I won’t waste your team up here with small talk, take a look below:
- Fox Sports takes a closer look at the return of the Gonzaga-Washington series, complete with some interesting quotes from both Mark Few and Lorenzo Romar. To his credit, Romar responded to the comments from Nigel Williams-Goss about why he left Washington with honesty and self-awareness:
“Totally understand what he's saying. We also have to understand that the two years Nigel was here, especially his second year, was probably the worst two years that we've had. We were probably as dysfunctional as we've been since we've been here," Romar said. "If you want to take that time and decide if Washington was the best place to be, it probably wasn't."
- If the above wasn’t enough for you, here’s the full transcript from Romar’s press conference yesterday. There’s a lot of discussion from him about Gonzaga and NWG.
- College insider Jon Rothstein touched on Gonzaga’s balance in his latest look at the NCAA hoops landscape.
- The Zags didn’t move in the AP Rankings, and they also stayed put at #6 in ESPN’s Power Rankings. Jeff Goodman had this to say about the Bulldogs:
Przemek Karnowski, the 7-foot-1 senior center, had questions, his career was in doubt last season due to a back injury. He is healthy now and that gives the Zags a true post presence and also arguably the best passing big man in the country. He had 18 points in the win over Arizona.
- Zach Collins gets the Newcomer Spotlight video treatment from the NCAA
- We’ve already discussed the following bit of news, but now it’s official, Gonzaga will play Villanova next year in the Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden. The date is set for December 5, 2017.
- Mark Few’s comments during his interview with Seth Davis resonated, particularly his thoughts about keeping Gonzaga out of the mid-major box.
- Really nice guest column by Peggy Simonson for the Spokesman Review about how Gonzaga basketball saved her marriage, and all the joy that fandom brings.