With the Zags bunkered down for Finals and no games until Sunday, treat yourself to some reading material to pass the time:
- It’s always interesting to see how individuals who don’t regularly cover Gonzaga basketball view the team. Doug Haller of The Arizona Republic spoke with some of the coaches who have faced the Zags this season to get a read on the legitimacy of Gonzaga’s Final Four aspirations.
- Nigel Williams-Goss was named to NCAA.com’s All-Week team for his performances against Washington and Akron.
- Matt Calkins of The Seattle Times assessment of Gonzaga’s domination over the Huskies is a delightful read.
- Jeff Borzello of ESPN pegged Zach Collins as one of the ESPN 100 freshmen outplaying his high school ranking (Insider subscription required). Collins was ranked #37 by ESPN coming out of Bishop Gorman, so that tells you all you need to know about how well he’s currently playing. Here’s what Borzello had to say:
Zach Collins, Gonzaga: The 7-foot Collins (No. 37) was a McDonald’s All-American last spring, so it’s hard to say he’s truly a surprise -- but he’s given Gonzaga a surprisingly consistent offensive weapon. Despite playing just 17.0 minutes per game, Collins is averaging 10.6 points and 5.7 rebounds. His ability to face-up and knock down jumpers makes him a matchup problem for opponents, and will really be tough to stop once West Coast Conference play begins. Collins has the size and skill of an NBA player, and he’s rising in the eyes of scouts. Expect him to continue to improve.
- There wasn’t much movement at the top of the polls this week or in Jeff Goodman’s Power Rankings where the Zags stayed put at #6 for the second week in a row.
- Congratulations to Lady Zag Kiara Kudron who was named the WCC Player of the Week for her performances against in-state foes Eastern Washington and Washington State. Kudron is the second Lady Zag to receive the honor, joining Jill Barta who earned the nod 3 weeks ago.
Next on the Schedule:
Men’s Basketball: Tennessee (semi-away), 12/18/16 (1:00pm PT, ESPN2)
Women’s Basketball: Northwestern (home), 12/19/16 (6:00pm PT, SWX)