Annnnndddd we’re back! In case you haven’t been told enough times, Gonzaga’s season is right around the corner, and with it, comes the return of the Weekly Zag Briefing. Each week we’ll do our best to curate Zag-related items from around the interwebs and put them in one place for you to peruse. Without further ado, let’s get to it:
- The AP released its initial poll with Gonzaga opening the season ranked at No. 14. Duke (1), Kentucky (2), and Kansas (3) round out the top 3 with Arizona (10) and St. Mary’s (17) opening the year as ranked opponents.
- ESPN lists the Zags as its No. 17 team to start the season, interestingly citing the defense as the biggest question mark for Gonzaga heading into the year.
- Sports Illustrated released its season preview for Gonzaga that includes some good comments from Mark Few.
- Sticking with SI, the publication pegged the Bulldogs as its top mid-major contender. St. Mary’s and BYU were also included in its Top 6.
- Mark Few and the team had the opportunity to watch Domantas Sabonis and the OKC Thunder game last weekend in Oklahoma City before holding its private scrimmage with Baylor the following day. Baylor and Gonzaga reportedly split the scrimmage, with Zach Collins impressing observers.
- Byron Wesley earned Eurobasket.com’s Finnish League Player of the Week award following a 29-point, 4 rebound effort for Kataja Basket.
- The Lady Zags were picked to win the WCC with Elle Tinkle and Jill Barta named to the preseason All-WCC Team.
- The Turquoise N7 uniforms will return this year for the game against Bryant on November 18
Gonzaga will wear its N7 uniform, honoring Native Americans, on Nov. 18 vs. Bryant. pic.twitter.com/003HA2UNH6— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) November 1, 2016
- Przemek Karnowski talked with Campus Insiders about his back rehab and shared his thoughts about the upcoming season
- And in another interview, Przemek blanks on Spike’s name during WCC Media Day. Sorry Spike, I’m sure Przemek will make it up to you.
Next on the schedule
Men’s Basketball: 11/5 Exhibition against West Georgia at 6pm PT
Women’s Basketball: 11/4 Exhibition against Corban at 6pm PT